Re: [Tinycc-devel] Request: __attribute__((vector_size))

From: uso ewin
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Request: __attribute__((vector_size))
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 16:50:40 +0100

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 3:55 PM ian <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I stay at my position, and keep saying it has nothing to deal with a compiler
> !
> It deals with assumptions concerning the main aim of data structures.
> It seems that you know how to code it, so if tcc can compile this it's fine
> and enough.
> But, FOR SURE, it does not have to translate an index-by-index array elements
> sum !!!
>

> Regards, ian.

I have a different point of view:

I saw that kind of extension as somewhat similar to what float/double are in C:
Machine don't have a float data type, they have registry, memory and
instructions,
that allow to do floating point arithmetic on registry.

Float support are more or less compiler that does assumption
concerning the aim of some data.
That's why they add a type in C I guess.

And as vector extension, you could code float operation in C, but it
would be hard to tell the
compiler to use the float specific instructions.

I see this extension as similar: it add a type that do some assumption
of some data and
allow to use some instruction on them.

The main difference is that only a few processor support instruction on matrix.
(But I guess that if intel had some kind of vector operation when C
was created this would be part of the standard)

I don't think it's a must have (far from it), nor I think tcc should
support vector extension,
but if the support is done in a non intrusive way, I don't see why not.

Matthias,