Re: [Tinycc-devel] I want to port make on Windows using tcc compiler

From: Christian Jullien
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] I want to port make on Windows using tcc compiler
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 18:44:25 +0100

Thank you Eli, your help is really appreciated.

>From the latest https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/make/make-4.3.tar.gz I don't see the
src/config.h.W32.template you're referring to.

tar tvzf make-4.3.tar.gz | grep -i templ
-rw-r--r--  0 1000   1000     1015 Jan 03 08:11
make-4.3/tests/scripts/test_template  <= not the one I'm looking for

This distrib however contains src/config.h.W32 which is used "as is" by
build_w32.bat which is the only command I can execute with native tcc.exe
and cmd.exe (no autoconf nor automake in this very reduced env.)

Also the README.W32 tells me: 1. Edit config.h.W32 to your liking
(especially the few shell-related ...

Am I missing something?

FYI, until my two patches exist in standard make distrib, I boostrap
gnumake.exe with Cygwin using:

WINTCC  = https://sourceforge.net/p/wintcc/svn/HEAD/tree
MAKEREPO  = https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/make
MAKEVER = make-4.3

gnumake.exe:
        @echo Building Windows native version of $@ from sources.
        # apply some patches
        @wget --quiet -O $(MAKEVER).tar.gz $(MAKEREPO)/$(MAKEVER).tar.gz
        @tar xzf $(MAKEVER).tar.gz
        @wget --quiet -O $(MAKEVER)/build_w32.bat
$(WINTCC)/make/build_w32.bat?format=raw
        @chmod a+w $(MAKEVER)/src/config.h.W32
        @wget --quiet -O $(MAKEVER)/src/config.h.W32
$(WINTCC)/make/config.h.W32?format=raw
        # Real build starts here with tcc used as C compiler.
        @(cd $(MAKEVER); cmd /C "set PATH=..;%PATH% && build_w32.bat tcc >
:nul")
        @mv $(MAKEVER)/TccRel/$@ .
        @rm -r -f $(MAKEVER).tar.gz $(MAKEVER)
        @chmod a-x $@
        @dir $@

Because gnumake.exe will be part of tcc standard binary distrib, I must be
able to give users a way to rebuild gnumake.exe from (GPL) source code and
"build_w32.bat tcc" would just do.