[Tinycc-devel] stdarg.h overhaul (was: /usr/include/syslog.h:68: error:

From: Michael Matz
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] stdarg.h overhaul (was: /usr/include/syslog.h:68: error: invalid type)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 22:31:33 +0200 (CEST)

Hello all,

On Wed, 15 Apr 2020, Michael Matz wrote:

 I would appreciate some help understanding this syslog.h "invalid
 type" problem. I don't quite get it :) FWIW that line references
 va_list which

... ah, oh, see? :) Hmm, so is TCC's stdarg.h really being included, or is it picking up some other stdarg.h?

So, I've dusted off an old patch of mine that overhauls how TCC is doing stdarg.h support. mob at 2f943902 has it. In particular our own stdarg.h now looks like this:

-----
typedef __builtin_va_list va_list;
#define va_start __builtin_va_start
#define va_arg __builtin_va_arg
#define va_copy __builtin_va_copy
#define va_end __builtin_va_end
-----

(not much different from musl stdarg.h)

In other words, TCC now always defines __builtin_va_list, __builtin_va_start, __builtin_va_arg, __builtin_va_copy and __builtin_va_end. The way it does so is unconventional but as identifiers with __builtin are purely for compiler implementations that shouldn't matter (see below).

I've tested this on glibc linux (x86-64, riscv64, arm64, armhf and i386), and on alpine linux x86-64 (i.e. a musl distro, my rootfs was a bit oldish, but still).

So, hmm, that might mean that TCC is now working a bit more out of the box for musl systems. Lacking something like a MacOS rootfs/sandbox I can't verify if this also helps MacOS, it might make things better or worse, so I'd appreciate some testing there. And all other testing as well of course.

For the curious: the way it's implemented is still partially via macros which are pre-loaded from a header named tcc_predefs.h before any other processing. It is loaded unconditionally, and I'm using it simply to make the implementation of these builtins easier to maintain; for all intents and purposes these are now really built into tcc. Programs can detect a difference to e.g. GCC by #ifdef testing of those identifiers, and if absolutely necessary that could also be disabled, but as programs really have no business in doing such hackery we should do that only when we have evidence that it's necessary.

Would be nice if you could check that on ulinux and libressl :)

Ciao,
Michael.