Re: [Tinycc-devel] Tiny c availability

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Tiny c availability
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2020 17:34:55 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:

I compile gawk with it all the time and gawk passes its test suite.
I use it mainly when I want a quick build to test something.

My big wish for tcc is that it'd produce debug info for use with GDB.

Recent mob has some changes that make tcc emit some debug info also for variables (it always had support for line numbers). E.g. this works fine:

% cat dbgexample.c
struct S {int member;};
int global = 2;
extern int printf (const char*, ...);
int main()
{
  int i = 1;
  struct S s;
  s.member = 42;
  printf("%d %d %d\n", i, global, s.member);
  return 0;
}

% ./tcc -g dbgexample.c
% gdb ./a.out
(gdb) start
Temporary breakpoint 1, main () at dbgtest.c:6
6         int i = 1;
(gdb) p global
$1 = 2
(gdb) p i
$2 = 0
(gdb) n
8         s.member = 42;
(gdb) p i
$3 = 1
(gdb) n
9         printf("%d %d %d\n", i, global, s.member);
(gdb) p s
$4 = {member = 42}
(gdb) ptype s
type = struct S {
    int member;
}

Using it for good will probably reveal issues and incompleteness here and there, but some non-trivial things do work fine. (Luckily we aren't an optimizing compiler, so stabs will be enough to express everything we need for a while; we don't need DWARF).

Ciao,
Michael.

Arnold

Daniel Glöckner <daniel-gl@gmx.net> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 10:09:56AM +0200, Christian Jullien wrote:
> Many starts with more than one :o)

Even the Pirahã appear to agree that many doesn't start before three.

> Five BIG projects is not that bad.
>
> Let me start with few I very often (if not daily) compile:
> - OpenLisp (daily)
> - bigz (daily)
> - gnumake (every major version)
> - sqlite (daily - part of OpenLisp build)
> - tcc (almost daily)
>
> They already count for FIVE :o)

But you talked about many people, not many projects, and you are only
one person, unless of course you have a split personality. :P

> What about a page referencing projects that build with tcc?

That would also be useful to show what tcc is capable of compiling.