Re: [Tinycc-devel] struct bug: identical named struct members

From: Tyge Løvset
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] struct bug: identical named struct members
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 11:37:44 +0100

Thanks Michael,

Yes I started looking in struct_decl. Is there a reason why it doesn't use an efficient unordered map for lookup, other than the extra code weight?

I have an extremely efficient, generic map implementation, which is faster than most speedy c++ implementation, see "Performance" at https://github.com/tylov/C99Containers
If that (and the cstr string type) is stripped down to its bare minimum, it would be perfect for general symbol tables. The only other fast C map I know of is khash (https://attractivechaos.github.io/klib), however not memory efficient, and the codebase is somewhat bigger.

But, looking at tccgen.c, it may be too ambitious to integrate?

ps: I haven't really looked much at the core code yet; I do have some compiler tech experience way back from creating an external syntax checker for www.autoitscript.com, using flex and yacc. (http://www.google.com/search?q=au3check)

Cheers,
Tyge

On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 at 00:32, Michael Matz <matz.tcc@frakked.de> wrote:
Hello,

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020, Tyge Løvset wrote:

> Is this a known bug, or regression?

Known bug.

> I tried to follow the code in parse_btype() in tccgen.c for the missing
> struct member symbol lookup check, but didn't succeed so far:
>
>       } else {
>             c = 0;
>             flexible = 0;
>             while (tok != '}') {
>                 if (!parse_btype(&btype, &ad1)) {
>     skip(';');
>     continue;
> }

Member lookup is linear, so checking for duplicates is quadratic, so TCC
doesn't bother to do it.  The check would belong to struct_decl, not
parse_btype, probably involving find_field before adding it.

Ciao,
Tinycc-devel mailing list
Tinycc-devel@nongnu.org