Re: [Tinycc-devel] Almost added a feature, but I broke things

From: Joshua Scholar
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Almost added a feature, but I broke things
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 18:13:44 -0800

Heh, people told me I was crazy to make my chess engine a single file.

On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 5:00 PM Kyryl Melekhin <k.melekhin@gmail.com> wrote:
This isn't a build system you are misunderstanding a lot of things, it's a special tool that can save you a lot of time if you ever need to correctly combine C source or libraries into one file. The best build system is having no build system at all. Also files are annoying to a lot of people and hurt your understanding of the code as a whole. Thats why single header libraries are so popular. Sometimes the best way to read the source code of some C project is to combine everything into one file and explore the code in its entirety without wasting your time memorizing where every function is located, what file and subfolders. Sometimes to gain complete understanding of complex system it's better to strip it down to the "suckless" level. Also if your editor can't handle large files, it's better to reconsider your tools or write your own that suck less. There is always some kind of missing data and indirection between the original software authors and you, what made sense to them when building a project will not be something you will be able to understand on your own. Most of the time developers split code into files for no reason whatsoever and cryptic names dont help. I don't recall ever having filename help me in understanding the code of example. It's just for esthetic organizational purposes only, but they are useless when it comes to being productive. Also dont even tell me about multicore builds, those are sucky too, most of the time you will be hit by O(n) slow linker, which makes whole thing even slower in some cases. That's why I use Tcc, compiler should be fast enough to handle massive codebases without a chug. If tcc compiles 200K loc of code in less than a second, I don't think any reasonable user land applications should have any justifications for using build systems because such a compiler exists.

Anyway, I was actually replying to the person who asked me about the amalgamation, but I figured might as well tell you bit about my philosophy that I've come to form over the years.