Re: [Tinycc-devel] What is your general workflow in answering to mailing

From: Michael Matz
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 00:45:42 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Fri, 25 Dec 2020, Vaidas BoQsc wrote:

What is the proper way to quote and reply in a Mailing List? Thanks.
I just noticed that instead of replying, I created a new thread.

Thank you for asking. Generally the usual netiquette rules should be obeyed, but we don't need to be too obsessive about them as the size of this list is small. Googling for mailing list netiquette will give you various answers, from relaxed to much too strict, but commonalities would be:

a) No HTML-only mails (of possible without HTML content, but multi-part
   with non-html is okayish)
b) readable with mono-space font
c) no top-posting [1], no full-quoting if answering to only some parts,
   quote with '> ' prefixed lines
d) 72 characters line width

As an average, I use in-browser Google Mail.
Do I need a Mail Client to have a better experience with Mailing Lists?

Ugh, let's hope this doesn't transform into a flame-war of best-email-clients ;)

gmail is probably the best in-browser client, but still fairly bad as far as mail clients go; I'm not sure how much of the badness can be configured away. I'm not a GUI user myself, so can't really suggest anything from own experience, but reasonable mails seem to be produced by Thunderbird users. If the settings allow to send text-only mails and a mono-space font and do quoting in classic '> bla' style it's going to be fine.

Do you happen to do any manual message formatting work while replying?

(FWIW, I'm using alpine, and the only formatting I regularly use is to justify whole text paragraphs to the text width that they don't look too jiggly)

Ciao,
Michael.