Re: [Tinycc-devel] tinycc manpage

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] tinycc manpage
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 17:21:18 +0300

Sudipto Mallick to Michael Matz:

> As  I am reformatting it, I do not find it hard to
> write. It must have been  writable  enough  to  be
> used in writing almost all manual pages in OpenBSD
> etc.  Also current setup depends on perl to be in-
> stalled,  which  is  not  a  hard requirement, but
> still ...

I agree that *roff syntax is simultaneosly  concise,
writable,  and  readable,  whereas texinfo is a huge
package with a verbose syntax  and  dependencies  on
LaTeX  and  other third-party formatters. That said,
*roff would be the natural choice for TCC because of
its similar minimalist ideology, but since the offi-
cial documentaion tool for TCC is  Texinfo,  I  fear
your good effort will not appreciated...

> There's  also texi2mdoc which is written in C, but
> I haven't tried that.

That means using the makrup language  from  a  large
system,  but  converting into the language of a sim-
pler system by means of a C program. Everybody  will
not  like it...  I think that using Texinfo directly
is better.