Re: [Tinycc-devel] recover commits on mob

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] recover commits on mob
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2021 23:53:05 +0100

Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
So I think what happened is that one time I force-pushed and overwrote the mob
branch with a command like the one above (sorry).  It should have only affected
a tiny bit though since I rebase arm-asm on top of mob.

Do not use the -f option with push,  please.

In the future, I'll switch over to using this instead (while working
in the local "arm-asm" branch):
git merge arm-asm

No, do not push merge commits please.  If you look at it there are
(almost) no merge commits in the tinycc git history, and that is
intentional.

Just push your commits on top of the public mob branch.  You can
use any notation or procedure you prefer, as long as the result
is fast-forward of the remote branch and no merge commits.

Thanks,

-- gr

git push -u origin mob # the first time; later times just "git push".

That would make merges explicit and would thus be much safer.  Also, it's
how I use git elsewhere.

(I had never seen the foo:bar with URL push syntax before)