Re: [Tinycc-devel] x86_64 tcc doesn't set sign bit on NaNs

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] x86_64 tcc doesn't set sign bit on NaNs
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2021 07:42:08 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021, ian wrote:

Hi to all, and happy new year.

AFAIK neither -NaN nor +NaN have sense (how to put a sign at a 'not a
number' ????).

To be precise, the sense isn't specified. Like for the payload of IEEE NaNs you can give it any meaning you like, including none. But if you regard unary minus as a non-arithmetic but algebraic operation (like recommended by IEEE) on an extension of the float numbers, it should do something to the (algebraic) sign.

For instance, in my own language NaN have no sign, but on the other hand I
use -Inf and +Inf :

That's completely fine.

It seems to me that using a sign bit on NaN is a design error.....

Possibly. But it's the more orthogonal choice with IEEE float (where simply all specified values have a sign).

Ciao,
Michael.

Regards to all, and best wishes.

ian