[Tinycc-devel] BUG "make install" always strips

From: Christian Jullien
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] BUG "make install" always strips
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 06:00:46 +0100

Hi,

Porting tcc on OpenBSD, I discovered that “make install” always strips the tcc binaries (which failed, now fixed, in case of bootstrapping tcc with tcc  on OpenBSD) even if –strip-binaries was not set.

The culprit is this code:

ifeq ($(CONFIG_strip),no)

CFLAGS += -g

LDFLAGS += -g

else

CONFIG_strip = yes

ifndef CONFIG_OSX

LDFLAGS += -s

endif

endif

As CONFIG_strip is not set (!= no) it is forced to yes.

Either you pass –strip-binaries option or you install using “make install-strip” target. The “make install” should only install what has been compiled so far.

I fixed this by adding “CONFIG_strip=no” to

install: ; @$(MAKE) --no-print-directory  install$(CFG) CONFIG_strip=no

Hope it’s the right way to fix it, please find another solution if you like.

Christian