Re: [Tinycc-devel] Assertion Failed

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Assertion Failed
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 23:54:58 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021, Zhuo Zhang wrote:

I find there is an assertion failure in current tcc code.

$ cat poc.c
int a = b(c() * 1e678);

$ ./tcc -c poc.c
test.c:1: warning: implicit declaration of function 'b'
test.c:1: warning: implicit declaration of function 'c'
tcc: x86_64-gen.c:530: load: Assertion `(v >= TREG_XMM0) && (v <= TREG_XMM7)'
failed.
[1]    6773 abort (core dumped)  /root/git/test_tinycc/tcc -c test.c

The abort is fine. We could replace it with a different error message, but it would remain an error; the input simply is fuzzed nonsense.

Note for future fuzzing: a core dump due to an abort is actually a good sign, it's not similar to e.g. a core dump due to a segfault (hinting at random memory overwrites or suchlike, which could potentially be abused). The abort due to an assert means that someone thought and explicitely tested for situations which shouldn't occur, exactly so that further problems downstream can't materialize.

So: assert --> fine, segfault --> potentially interesting.

Ciao,
Michael.