Re: [Tinycc-devel] manually inlining functions

From: Kyryl Melekhin
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] manually inlining functions
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 01:13:27 +0000

Well, I may take that back, recursion may be useful if you
have a 5000 loc function that you need to invoke
on some very rare occasion once. And if you care about
the size of your executable a lot for some reason.
But on hotpath, it makes no sense. Unless you are trying
to satisfy your academia, which likely aren't teaching
you useful stuff anyways... But even in those cases, recursion
can be a goto statement, with little state dublication.
I tried actually cracking this problem before, (about rewriting
recursion iteratively) and the aspect of your analyzer to keep
track of every data that is actually relevant (to get the optimal
solution) is hard to achieve. I had some sucesses, until I got
tired of trying to solve this. Sorry this a bit off topic, carry on.