Re: [Tinycc-devel] -Werror=X (but ugly)

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] -Werror=X (but ugly)
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 20:11:34 +0200

grischka wrote in
 <60FF3C86.6020702@gmx.de>:
 |Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> I would like to have it, but the implementation is so ugly!
 |
 |Classic dilemma ...

Oooh .. yes.

 |> Also, things like write-strings play with
 |
 |What "things like write-strings"?  There is only -Wwrite-strings
 |which is different.  Also in gcc, to stop it needs
 |
 |      gcc -Wwrite-strings -Werror=discarded-qualifiers

Hm.  Well then this part is not compatible it seems.  I have never
tested it that much, i usually step in when somewhere the build
fails or spits warnings like grazy.  Actually i have given up on
managing the mess that happens from compiler development.

 |> conditions and states which later result in "something", so having
 |> a global this_is_the_actual_warning_trigger would need to be
 |> looked at in error1(), and the "is not warning but error" state be
 |> deduced there only; yet, this was too complicated.
 |
 |Ok, could be done all in only one place but is too complicated... (?!?)

I had instrumented the code this afternoon, but the code generator
would require real brain effort.  The flag is set, but when
actually the warning occurs, i dunno, it is much, much later.
I thought about adding a specific function, you know, like
warnopt() or so, that could check for -Werror -Wno-error=X not
bailing for X, it is really only these places in the generator
which make it weird.

Unfortunately tcc_warning() does not take arguments itself, even
though variable preprocessor arguments where pretty much
widespread already over twenty years ago .. with different syntax.
I also never used it.  It did X((Y)), this could be a solution
here too.  It still does not help for the generator, sadly.

 |> The below thus works
 |
 |(partially sometimes)
 |
 |> but is far from what i had in mind, which is
 |> why i refrained from committing it (which i never tried in years
 |> also, who still knows how that works)?
 |
 |> What do you think?
 |
 |What we do think about what is far from what you did think? ;)

Despite that being too complicated ... ... i have to cook!

Ciao,

--steffen