Re: [Tinycc-devel] Optimizing for avx512

From: Christian Jullien
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Optimizing for avx512
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 10:01:35 +0100

Hi, I speak only for myself.
I'm not sure tcc is the right target for you.
We all loved to have tcc generating fast code but the two main goals of tcc are
C compliance and FAST compilation code.
The price to pay its really fast compilation is that the generated code is poor
compared to gcc, clang or vc++ (among others). Depending on your program,
consider it is roughly 2 to 4x slower.

If you want a fast executable, use a C compiler that generates fast code (read
gcc/clang).

You can combine tcc and gcc as I do: compile and test your code with tcc and,
when it works, switch to gcc/clang with all possible optimization. Hint PGO, is
a valuable way to make your gcc optimized code even faster. I would say between
10 and 20%.

C.