[Tinycc-devel] Re : Re: Re : Some questions regarding of TCC's optimi

From: david . koch
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] Re : Re: Re : Some questions regarding of TCC's optimizations.
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 18:35:19 +0200 (CEST)

Have a look : https://github.com/adorad/tcc and https://github.com/adorad/adorad

----- Mail d'origine -----
De: rempas via Tinycc-devel <tinycc-devel@nongnu.org>
À: Tinycc Devel <tinycc-devel@nongnu.org>
Cc: rempas@tutanota.com, Tinycc Devel <tinycc-devel@nongnu.org>
Envoyé: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 21:12:37 +0200 (CEST)
Objet: Re: [Tinycc-devel]  Re :  Some questions regarding of TCC's
optimizations.

27 Μαρ 2022, 19:24 Από david.koch@libertysurf.fr:

> Hello Rempas,
>
> writing a compiler is a sport in itself, and there are several different
> languages out there that are doing a great job.
>
> If you consider C as a low-level candidate, take a look at vlang as well, or
> Rust, or even Zig.
>
> On the high-level groungtake also a look at Julia (yeah, *that* Julia) or Nim.
>
> But if you ant to go bare metal, prefer to take a look at HLA first (Randall
> Hyde) :
>
> https://www.randallhyde.com/AssemblyLanguage/HighLevelAsm/index.html
>
> Beare, there's a lot to do before getting a proper optimizing engine.
>
> Prefer take the simple JIT route like TCC, even if the code isn't optimal,
> CPU caches are large enough to fit small code.
>
> Good luck, but do not over-engineer things upfront.
>
> Regards.

Thanks a lot for all the great info! I like vlang a lot but their native
backend needs TONS of work to be considered useful and be able to compile code.
I will also look HLA!

Finally, thanks for the last advice! It is very important and I start seeing it
as I write more and more code. I wish you the best in whatever you do my friend
;)