Re: [Tinycc-devel] Jump optimization questions - commit: 8227db3a

From: pursuer2
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Jump optimization questions - commit: 8227db3a
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 22:47:56 +0800

From: "Ekaitz Zarraga" <ekaitz@elenq.tech>;
Date: Wed, Aug 10, 2022 07:53 PM
To: "tinycc-devel"<tinycc-devel@nongnu.org>;

Hi,

On Wednesday, August 10th, 2022 at 1:43 PM, grischka <grishka@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 09.08.2022 20:39, Ekaitz Zarraga wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm working on the RISC-V bootstrapping efforts for Guix, and I have to backport the RISC-V backend to an older TinyCC version we have patched in order to be able to build it with a simpler compiler.
>

> I wonder why not just apply these patches to the newer tcc then?

Mostly because the compiler we use to compile TinyCC does not provide all the C constructs modern TinyCC is using nowadays, so we can't use it now.
We may be able to do it in the future, but our current compiler chain does not allow us to do that.

> > The process worked mostly ok, but I can't understand very well the `gtst` function in the generation part, and I need to write it from scratch as the commit 8227db3a changed how the tests and jumps are managed.
>

> Actually that commit was to put the former gtst() function in its pieces,
> now gjmp_cond(t, op) to handle VT_CMP, and gjmp_append(n, t) for the
> former VT_JMP "optimization" part.

Do you mean the commit was done to split the function in two?
I'll take a deeper look and see if I can undo it properly.

Thanks for the help