Re: [Tinycc-devel] C standards committee

From: JeanHeyd Meneide
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] C standards committee
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 12:57:48 -0500

Hi Detlef!

     Thanks for sending your suggestions and revisions for the C Standard. All of them got in and so should appear in C23. :D

     It's good that someone is tracking featuresets over time and writing suites to test for them. Hopefully this will help encourage folks to increase conformance and featuresets across compilers.

     For features provided into the standard, some things will be more work than others, but the hope is to provide things that take pretty widespread existing practice and give it a standards coat of paint. In particular, asm labels, statement expressions, and more shouldn't require much work in compilers like TCC since they already have them. I'm hoping we won't be doing many other additions far beyond; quite frankly, there's so much existing practice that it'll probably be a decade or so before we have to start inventing stuff out of thin air.

Sincerely,
JeanHeyd