[Tinycc-devel] All known yarpgenv1 bugs fixed.Thanks Michael and Herman

From: Detlef Riekenberg
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] All known yarpgenv1 bugs fixed.Thanks Michael and Herman
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 00:19:41 +0100

Thank you so much, Michael and Herman for fixing
the remaining yarpgen(v1) bugs,
which i found with my testscript so far. (yarpgen.sh)

The yarpgen.sh testscript was born out of my csmith testscript (csmith.sh).

For your Info:
I patched yarpgen, to generate the tons of printf on request.
(Pull request send, but i'm not sure, if they want to update the old v1 codebase).

Compilation speed Info:
I used 'time' on my old laptop with yarpgen_v1 in c99 mode for seed 1 to seed 200.
(Default OPTIMIZE is '-O0')
368.65s TESTCC=tcc REFCC=gcc
371.67s TESTCC=tcc REFCC=clang
135.64s TESTCC=tcc REFCC=tcc

The goal of the last run was not to find failures,
but to show the speed advantage of tcc. (on top of the scripttime)

####

I want to try OpenWatcom (v2 fork), but wcl386 is far too slow.
See my OW bug 1045 from feb. 2023 (source attached there).
(using seed 25 and yarpgen_v1 in 32bit mode)
tcc: 0,4s
gcc: 20,8s
clang: 23,4s
owcc: 490,4s

Yes, gcc/clang are about 50 times slower as tcc
and ow is about 1000 times slower as tcc for this testcase.

####

Ping to grishka:
What about fixing your bug for 'tcc -m32' / i386-tcc,
which you introduced by reverting my patches
and prepare a release of tcc 0.9.28?

That can give us 'tcc -m32' support at compiler-explorer
with using just a simple '--enable-cross' during configure
and also a much newer tcc codebase used in all linux distros.

When you need something to test, please let us know.

I would do a release, but i do not have write access.

When 0.9.28 is out, i suggest,
that we work together to prepare for a tcc 1.0.0 release in the next months.

--
Regards, Detlef