tramp-devel

Re: Tramp never unmounts sshfs volumes

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp never unmounts sshfs volumes
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 15:20:26 +0200

Stephen Gildea <stepheng+emacs@gildea.com> writes:

Hi Stephen,

> I see the following ways of dealing with multiple Emacs processes
> sharing an sshfs mount:
>
> 1. Never unmount when closing the connection.  This is what Tramp does now.
>
> 2. Always unmount.  This might make it hard for Tramp to determine whether
> the mount was present still or not.
>
> 3. Unmount if this process did the mount.  This is your idea of an
> "unmount on cleanup" bit.  As with case 2, if this process did not do
> the mount, Tramp would have to handle an unexpectedly closed connection.
>
> 4. Every Emacs uses its own mount point.  Multiple mount points could
> still share an ssh connection but would no longer share the sshfs cache.
> This option seems the simplest and cleanest to implement.

I'm just working on 3, controlled by a user option. Let's see how it
goes (with your testing), if not satisfying we'll have 4.

Variant 4 has the disadvantage to leave several mount points when Emacs
crashes or does not pass the cleanup machinery for whatever reason.

I'll tell you later (today?) when I have pushed something.

Best regards, Michael.