tramp-devel

Re: Tramp + eshell

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp + eshell
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 09:30:43 +0200

"H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> Hello

Hi Dieter,

> I'm on GNU Emacs 28.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2021-10-24
> when I open a remote file e.g.
>
> /plinx:Eval:
>
> and do an "M-x eshell" in this dired buffer, I'm getting an eshell in
> the same remote location (~ under a Gnu-Linux system).
>
> /plinkx:Eval:/home/vt1/uidg1626 $
>
> So far so good, but when I want to go to the remote root directory with
> "cd /" than eshell returns to a directory on my local machine!?
>
> When I try an existing remote directory under the root directory with
> "cd /srv" then eshell says "No such directory: /srv" even though this
> exists on the remote side.
>
> Am I expecting too much or am I missing here something?  Do you need
> further information on this behaviour?

eshell is the "Emacs shell" for a reason :-)

Commands like cd interpret file names like somewhere else in Emacs. "/"
is the local root, and "cd /" changes to that directory. You can also
fire commands like "cd /ssh:host:/", even if your current directory is
not related to that host. This works even if your current directory
points to another remote host.

If you want to use the system's cd command, you might use "*cd /". The
leading star disables the eshell builtins.

All of this is described in the eshell manual. Try (info "(eshell) Built-ins")

>    Dieter

Best regards, Michael.