tramp-devel

Re: sh -c 'whoami' gives permission error in docker container and puts m

From: ParetoOptimalDev
Subject: Re: sh -c 'whoami' gives permission error in docker container and puts me in weird prompt/subshell
Date: Mon, 01 May 2023 12:59:05 -0500

Hello, I have created a qcow2 image with emacs and docker installed
using Nix that reproduces the problem.

You can download it here (link valid for 3 days from 2023-05-01):

https://spideroak.com/storage/OVPXG4DJMRSXE33BNNPWC5LUN5PTSMRUGM4DA/shared/8421734-1-1001/Rick.qcow2?7adec1ee798c032b87be2c4c450cbd5c

It has a username and password (sorry, I tried removing them but got
stuck somehow):

username: morty
password: hunter2

Once logged in I:

1. Ran the docker container in the background

docker run --name alpine3173 --rm -it alpine:3.17.3 sh &

2. Started emacs and M-x load-library tramp

3. C-x C-f /docker:alpine3173:

4. eshell

5. type `chown` and then enter

Then it reproduces this error:

/docker:alpine3173:~ # chown
sh: cd: /root/: Permission denied
///7bee5704f7e8bd9593fa089a1be3d921#$exit

Also *note* that emacs on Nix uses both a site-start.el that might or might not
be what you expect:

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/8670e496ffd093b60e74e7fa53526aa5920d09eb/pkgs/applications/editors/emacs/site-start.el

As well as emacs itself being a script to set the load path to elisp
packages in the nix store you can see with `cat $(realpath $(which
emacs))` in the vm.

Let me know if you are able to boot the vm fine.

Thank you.