trans-coord-devel

Re: Local install of GNUN does not detect errors (plus typo in mailfail)

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: Local install of GNUN does not detect errors (plus typo in mailfail)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 13:31:53 +0000

On Tue, Nov 09, 2021 at 01:55:39PM +0100, Dora Scilipoti wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 08, 2021 at 08:58:52PM +0100, Dora Scilipoti wrote:
>
> >> ==> checking for xmllint... no <==
> >
> > The next thing to do is make sure that xmllint is present and
> > the PATH variable contains the directory where it's located;
>
> xmllint is in /usr/share/bash-completion/completions

That directory contains scripts to hint Bash how it should
complete the line when the Tab key is pressed, it isn't
the xmllint executable.

$ /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/xmllint --version

doesn't not output lines like these, does it?

===
xmllint: using libxml version 20904
   compiled with: Threads Tree Output Push Reader Patterns Writer SAXv1 FTP
HTTP DTDValid HTML Legacy C14N Catalog XPath XPointer XInclude Iconv ICU
ISO8859X Unicode Regexps Automata Expr Schemas Schematron Modules Debug Zlib
Lzma
===

> When I run ./configure, make, and make install, I was positioned in
> the directory that contains the downloaded and extracted sources:
> /home/dora/Scaricati/gnun-1.1. I relied on whatever is default, without
> specifying any particular PATH.

If you have the xmllint executable somewhere else, say, in
/home/dora/xmllint/bin, you can

$ export PATH="/home/dora/xmllint/bin:$PATH"

and then run configure.

But I think you just have no xmllint installed.

> Even after reading the instructions in INSTALL and README, it's not
> clear to me what I should do to include the directory where xmllint is
> located.

I'll try to figure out how this can be fixed.

> Should I cd to /usr/share/bash-completion/completions and run
> ./configure, make, and make install from there?

No, it isn't likely to matter because PATH shouldn't contain
the current directory for security reasons: consider unpacking
some downloaded tarball, changing to its topmost directory and
running ls; and then the tarball contains a malicious executable
named ls.