trans-coord-news

Re: [Trans-coord-news] Encoding the name of Azerbaijani language on the

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Trans-coord-news] Encoding the name of Azerbaijani language on the main page
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 12:35:09 +0000

Wojciech Kotwica <address@hidden> writes:

> What we have
> ------------
> There is a link on our main page /home.html (and its translated
> versions) pointing to Azerbaijani version of the page. The link
> is included from /translations.include file:
> Where "&#x04d9;" entity represents small letter schwa (which looks
> like "e" turned upside down).
>
> Suggestion
> ----------
> Could we change this "&#x04d9;" into "&#x0259;"?
>
> Rationale
> ---------
> A. Formal
> Both U+04d9 and U+0259 mean small letter "schwa", both have
> the same graphical representation. The only different between
> them is that U+04d9 is to be used in cyrillic scripts and
> U+0259 is for "all usages of schwa in latin scripts other
> than Pan-Nigerian alphabet".
> We have the word "Az*rbaycanca", written in the Latin alphabet,
> so we should use latin version of letter schwa, not cyrillic.
> B. Practical
> There are more fonts containing U+0259 than containing U+04d9,
> so more visitors can see U+0259 character properly displayed
> than for U+04d9.

I've got no problem with that. But I'm not in charge of the
Azerbaijani translation so I can't make the decision.

Get approval from whoever is in charge and just change the
translations.include file.

btw this list is about news, not about general translation issues.

I think it would be a good idea for a general translation issues
list... but you'd have to talk to the translation coordinators about
that.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk