Re: [Traverso-devel] Fade View classes added to CVS

From: Nicola Döbelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Fade View classes added to CVS
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 15:03:21 +0200

Hi Remon,

> I've merged the 'direction' into FadeCurve class, however, since Curve is
> directional itself (in contrary to QPolygon) I mirrored against the y
> value instead of x . (y = 1 - y;)

Ah, I see. Otherwise sorting the points ascending in x direction would change
the direction of the curve back to fade in.

> I think it's easiest to use 3 QWidgets in a verticall layout, the top and
> bottomn will hold the labels in a horizontal layout, the labels itself
> are inserted via QLabels'.
> The center widget will be the viewport for the adjustments of the
> fade....

Good point. That would simplify the drawing routing quite a bit, because one
wouldn't have to deal with TOPMARGIN and BOTTOMMARGIN all the time.

> But I'm not sure if version 0.0.4 of jmbfade had more features/changes
> then only the direction change ?

Probably the distribution of the text labels (but it depends on what version
you had before). In 0.0.4 the spaces between text labels are regular, which
looks much nicer and avoids overlapping.

I noticed two minor things when I checked it out yesterday:

- Maybe we should use [D] to change the bending, because it's actually a drag
action. At least that is what I did intuitively.

- At the moment, only vertical mouse movements are considered. But the
spontaneous movement to change the bending is normal to the curve. In case of
fade in, its from top-left to bottom-right rather than from top to bottom. For
fade out, its from top-right to bottom-left. Do you know what I mean? Maybe we
should consider changes in x direction as well, but depending on the direction
of the curve.

All in all I really dig this solution. It encapsulates quite a lot of editing
parameters in an appealing dialog which focuses on the visual feedback rather
than on buttons and sliders.

While we're at it, here's another suggestion:
At the moment the left mouse button is hardly ever used. However, we could use
it for the most obvious action ([D] in most cases) as an alternative to the
regular key. This would let novice users to adapt more easily to the concept of
soft selections. They would still have to learn it, because all other actions
would require it, but they were at least able to do *something* the way they
are used to.

cheers,
Nic