Re: [Traverso-devel] Does Traverso work on non Linux OS's ?

From: Nicola Doebelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Does Traverso work on non Linux OS's ?
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 00:05:42 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 16. August 2006 23:09 schrieb Remon Sijrier:
> There are I think 2 problems.
> [jack and ASIO]

> I myself at least won't gonna use Traverso on Windows. I'm surprised how
> well Linux performs in contrast to Windows on a number of fronts.

That's nice to hear. Do you think it's the underlying OS or the Linux version
of Qt that is more robust than the Windows version?

> The other problem is maintainance.
> If someone would take that job, that would be great. Specially if he/she
> would search for a good way to add audio drivers support for Windows.
> (investigate if e.g. PortAudio, RtAudio, native ASIO/other are good
> canditas) I would like to help with adding the audio support initially, the
> packaging and testing should have to be done by someone else.
> It simply takes too much time for the ocasional build on the Windows
> platform for me.

In my experience packaging on Windows is easier than on Linux and OS X. I
could show you (or someone else) how to do it, but I can't do it myself,
because I only occasionally have access to a Windows PC. But I understand
your concerns, maybe we could come to a compromise: When adding new
dependencies in the future, we should keep in mind that it should remain
platform independent. If we find someone who does the Windows port one day,
it shouldn't be harder than necessary.

I maintain windows ports mainly for three reasons:

1. The reason for most people not to switch to Linux is the lack of specific
applications. If they can get used to cross-platform applications like
Firefox, OpenOffice, or my stuff on Windows, the switch to Linux is trivial.

2. I put a lot of effort into my programs, and while I advocate Linux
whereever it's appropriate, I'm primarily concerned that many users use my
programs. Needless to say that the user base of Linux + OS X + Windows is way
larger than Linux only.

3. I feel pissed off when there are good applications that are not available
for Linux. Quite often there's nothing that could not have been done in
similar quality using Qt/Java/GTK/wxWidgets etc. Using platform dependent
toolkits is just ignorant or stupid. Maybe most Windows users don't
appreciate the port of a small Linux application (due to the huge
availablilty of software), but at least I can't be blamed for ignorance.

I'm not trying to convince you, I'm just explaining my motivation for
advocating Linux and still maintaining ports for Windows and OS X.

Good nite!
Nic