Re: [Traverso-devel] Does Traverso work on non Linux OS's ?

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Does Traverso work on non Linux OS's ?
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:26:37 +0200 (CEST)

>> There are I think 2 problems.
>> [jack and ASIO]
>
>> I myself at least won't gonna use Traverso on Windows. I'm surprised how
>> well Linux performs in contrast to Windows on a number of fronts.
>
> That's nice to hear. Do you think it's the underlying OS or the Linux
> version
> of Qt that is more robust than the Windows version?

I think both.
It takes ages after a compile to get applications back, since it seems
they are all swapped to hard disk.
The system configuration was similar to my own computer (same ram, but
better cpu) but still the responsiviness on my linux box is much better,
specially on high memory pressure!
There are also rather odd things/crashes on windows which are stable on my
linux box, but I don't know if Qt is to be blamed, or native Windows
functions

> I maintain windows ports mainly for three reasons:
</snip>

I certainly agree with you, and thats why I love to use Qt, and libraries
like libsndfile since they are multiplatform
However, spending a good deal of time to setup a dev platform on windows,
adding audio driver support, and not using it myself since I don't have
windows actually ....

Keeping an eye on portability is indeed a good thing, and will be high on
the priority list for sure!
However, the real porting and audio driver stuff has to be done by someone
else at this time, since it makes much more sense to first improve basic
functionality on a proven stable platform ;-)

Getting it to work on Mac OS X is the more logical step at this time, to
bad the hold actions don't work as expected on other platforms :(

Back to work now, have a nice day