Re: [Traverso-devel] ClipManager

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] ClipManager
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:47:10 +0200

> (I need to remember to change the To: field... ;)

heh, yeah it's a bit odd it has to be this way. Reply to all could be the
simplest option, works always :)

> > Why ?
> > I admit that having it accessible from the clipmngr is a good thing, but
> > I prefer to have it also with < I > , and the standard drag and drop,
> > what do you think ?
>
> Sure, the < I > action could work both in the song view and in the
> clipmgr. Note that the clipmgr should be visible to the right next to
> the songview, with a little button (or a key action) to show/hide it.

Perhaps a DockWidget would be the most powerfull solution. That way, you can
drag the view to any position you want.
Of course, hiding it, and showing it again with a button or key-action will be
there too.
I had this idea to show sort of a buttons for each Song, with their status,
like playing/recording or not via an icon.
Like those tabs,but not horizontal layout out on the SongView, but at the left
or right of it.
This gives a good opportunity then too, to add a ClipManager and History
Manager button, which shows/hides the respective views.

> I think it would be easier to just handle it yourself. It's a simple
> refcount. When a clip is created it sets clip->refc=1, each time a clip
> is referenced in a track (by [ C ] (copy) or dragging it from the
> clipmgr) you do clip->refc++, each time you remove a clip from a track
> you do clip->refc--.

Sure!
I more kinda mentioned the Qt stuff as to study how they did it, since it
seems to work very good, and reliable.
When starting to make classes implicitely shared, it's important to do it in
some way, and from that point _always_ use that way, as for making the
approach consistent and robust.

> Perhaps a convertor would be good. Does the project files contain the
> version?

Not yet, I forgot to add it in the last release :-(
But it will be added from now on.

> if so it's easy to automagically detect it and convert it by
> moving all Clips into their sources and putting only references to them
> in the Tracks.

Somewhat what I was thinking about too. Sigh, too bad, but it has to be made
some way to keep backwards compatible....
Oh well, thats live. If someone feels to make a nice convertor...? ;-P

Greetings,