Re: [Traverso-devel] AudioClip/Source manager

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] AudioClip/Source manager
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:04:07 +0200

Hi Nicola,

I've searched through the mail archive, please have a read here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/traverso-devel/2006-08/msg00043.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/traverso-devel/2006-08/msg00047.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/traverso-devel/2006-09/msg00002.html

Jonatan also had some ideas on marking songs for CD creation, but it seems I
forgot to post it on the list, will forward that in another mail.

As it is now, AudioSources 'live' and are managed at Project level.
The idea is to create a View with all the AudioSources available in the
Project like a tree view where all the AudioClips using an AudioSources are
listed as childs of the AudioSource.
For this, it made sense to have only one entitiy for a ReadSource wether it
consisted of 1 or 2 physical files.

To make the View possible, and to be able to use AudioClips just like
AudioSources, the Clips should 'live' at Project level as well.

Current CVS has those changes. (or almost, still working on it)

The whole reference thing works for AudioSources in the same way as for
AudioClips.
Since for both instances are made when the Project loads, there needs to be a
way to tell if an AudioClip or AudioSource is in use or not.

The only difference with AudioClips is like you say it's "non sharing'
behaviour.
When an AudioClip is referenced twice (like dragging it 2 times from the view
into a Track), it will create a new instance at Project level.
There is no "AudioClip copy and only making a real new one when internal data
has been modified" because making a copy _allready_ modifies the internal
data (Track start position for example is almost _always_ different)
So as for memory saving, this won't work for AudioClips and doesn't matter
actually. (AudioClips are ~ 120 bytes)

I hope I made clear how the situation is now.

If there is need for 'shared' AudioClips, please let me know what parameters
should be shared, the use cases and so on and so on :-)
Oh, and how it should be implemented, patches are welcome heh

The nice thing with managing AudioClips at project  level is the ability to
easily use a Clip in another Song! (Same for AudioSources)

Looking forward to your comments!

Remon