Re: Fwd: Re: [Traverso-devel] AudioClip/Source manager

From: Nicola Doebelin
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Traverso-devel] AudioClip/Source manager
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 23:24:44 +0200

Am Montag, 18. September 2006 22:25 schrieb Remon Sijrier:
> > Also, as Nicola pointed out, it could be useful with a 'link' action in
> > addition to 'copy'. Which means that the clip will *not* be copied when
> > modified. Perhaps this could be toggled on/off on the clip, or even
> > always 'link' when dragging it from the cliplist and then have a
> > <D>uplicate action on the clip which creates a copy of the clip and
> > replaces the track Clip with the new copy, so if you want to modify a
> > clip without it affecting all other instances of the clip, you do <D>
> > first.
> >
> > I'm just thinking out loud here, what do you think?
>
> I think I get the idea, but it's not as simple as it looks like.
> Linking an AudioClip seems like good idea, but what parameters should be
> shared?
>
> Let's sum up what AudioClips have in respect to parameters:

> Now say, you move the edge of the "root" clip.
> What should happen?
> How to notify the AudioClipView....
> Same for gain, fades and so on.
>
> It would be lovely if you could figure out what params should be shared,
> and how 'linked' clips should act on a certain parameter change.

Since the economy of memory consumption is only minor when using the above
discussed concept, it would probably be much easier to allow to define groups
of regular clips. If one clip of the group is modified, the other group
members should adopt the relative changes accordingly.

I suppose this will be much easier to implement and more transparent to
understand. When I came up with the source/link concept, I thought it would
be a bit more memory efficient, but if the gain in efficiency is not
significant, I don't think it is worth the effort. Or are there other
benefits I've been missing so far?

Regards,
Nic