Re: Fwd: Re: [Traverso-devel] AudioClip/Source manager

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Traverso-devel] AudioClip/Source manager
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:47:40 +0200

Hi Nic,

> When I asked about the implicitly shared clips I didn't actually want to
> encourage this concept. I just had the impression that you had plans to
> implement it and I wanted to know more about it. But considering the
> confusion it caused I suggest you completely forget about it! There's
> obviously no need for and no benefit in such a concept. (Someone correct me
> if I'm wrong.)

Well, the situation is that I started working on AudioSources management.
Jonatan made the suggestion to only have one ReadSource 'entity' instead of 2
in case of a stereo recording/import.
That makes a good deal of sense imo, an audiosources view can be made much
simpler if there is only one source to deal with, wether it has 1 or 2
channels/files.
The next point was that AudioClips will have one reference to an audiosource,
and like audiosources re-using the same audioclip also makes sense, and in
the audiosources view they could be placed as childs of the audiosources.
Next point in the evolution of audiosources and clips was, if we make a copy
of an audioclip, but you don't want to _duplicate_ it and effectively add a
new Clip for a specific audiosource, you have sorta 'link' the clip with
the 'old' one.
Enfin, from implementation point of view, linking a Clip to another means
sharing 'common data', hence the implicitely shared audioclips discussion ;-)

> > I've lost track of what I was doing actually, was there something we were
> > workign on actually?
>
> LOL! While we're at it: I haven't been able to compile the cvs version for
> a couple of days now. (I can't tell you what's wrong because I'm not
> working at my linux system right now.)

Yeah, you're right. I overlooked some changes which weren't comitted, hence
the compile failure.

> But back to topic: Could you please post your comments / the status of the
> following IMO important features? Due to my long absence I've missed recent
> developments quite a bit.

Sure!

> - LV2 plugin support

Waiting on lv2 and slv2 to be finished. Could take a couple of weeks/months
maybe.

> - Routing, Subgroups, Aux-busses

Something for 0.40.0 ?

> - Basic set of good internal effects (EQ, Compressor, Reverb)

Ah yeah, iirc the idea was to implement the plugin support, and ship at least
with the EQ, Compressor etc plugins 'pre-selected' right?
Eventually with a JMB Dialog if it made sense :)
(The EQ proof of concept you made iirc)

> - Transition to QGraphicsView (Qt4.2)

Yes, but it's scheduled for post 0.40.0 since Qt 4.2 isn't out yet, and it
could take a while before distro's get it into their repos.
Certain stuff has to wait due this, but there's lot's of stuff left :-)

> - General stability of the GUI and backend

What, instability? Where, where ;-)

> As soon as I have a working cvs version, I will do some extensive tests and
> post my experiences and comments.

Thanks, but it's a little early to do extensive tests I think. There are some
known issues which are being worked on.
You could however lookup the changelog and see if there's anything of interest
to test ;-)

> I have some ideas for routing support, and hopefully the implementation is
> pretty simple. I'll come back to that as soon as I've prepared some
> illustrations.

Would be lovely!

> Keep up the good work!

Thanks, will try to do so :-)

Apart from the HistoryView and related work, and moving the AudioClips to
Project level (at the same level as audiosources) there haven't been much
exciting things around for the last weeks.
Things like making the size of the buffers for pre-loading audio configurable,
not graphically added though, and a naive implementation to fill the buffers
which are most empty first :-)

Greetings,