Re: [Traverso-devel] Behaviour of mute/solo

From: Nicola Doebelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Behaviour of mute/solo
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:30:59 +0200

Am Montag, 25. September 2006 21:31 schrieb Remon Sijrier:
> I've loaded 6 stereo and 24 mono files at the moment.
>
> The 'stuttering' effect happens almost always now when unsoloing, which
> isn't nice. The buffer size doesn't matter much, even with large buffers
> the effect also appears, perhaps I'm doing something wrong....

Hm, any idea where the bottleneck is? If it's the HD bandwidth it should be
smoothed out by larger buffers. How about the cpu? Are you still working on
your 800 MHz system?

> Also, using larger buffers makes seeking on this kind of projects take a
> long long time :-(
> Even when using a buffer size of only ~ 0.7 second of buffering (== 128 KB
> buffer @ 44100 Hz)
>
> Anyways, it would be nice to know if ~ 36 channels would count as a large
> project.

I would say it's very large, but keep in mind that often 24 bit wave files are
used for recording (44100 Hz / 24 bit is rather popular).

Good night,
Nic