[Traverso-devel] Re: Qt 4.2 or not?

From: Nicola Döbelin
Subject: [Traverso-devel] Re: Qt 4.2 or not?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:28:59 +0200

Hi Remon,

I found this old mail which you never got a reply on. So here we go:

> So what about delaying the next release by xx amount of time, and
> implement
> certain things 'properly', and with 'certain things' I mean trackview,
> clipview and related stuff drawing, highlighting, scrolling and so on, and
> start depending on Qt 4.2?
>
> I've the feeling that even with the current improvements, a 0.40.0 release
> wouldn't 'make' it.

Let me briefly recapitulate the current state of affairs (and correct me if I'm
wrong):

1. New layout using dock widgets: Almost done. Sometimes dock widgets are not
restored properly when the application is launched, but otherwise it works ok.

2. Transition to Qt 4.2: Under construction? Sorry for the delay due to my
crashes, I hope we can work it out quickly.

3. Track view: Insufficient stability at the moment. Audio clips are not
restored properly when a project is loaded. 'Select' and 'delete' don't work as
expected.

4. Fades: The 'mouse action recognition' seems to be broken in the fade dialog,
which is particularly annoying on Linux/PPC (sorry for that, but I think the
problematic behaviour on PPC is a good quality control), because I sometimes
can't change the values at all. Also some parameters are not correctly
initialized when the dialog is shown.

5. Plugins: Not sure, probably waiting for LV2 to finish and SWH-plugins to be
ported to LV2? We will need some generic widgets which are generated 'on the
fly'.

6. Routing: TODO.

7. Audio clip manager: No functionality implemented yet?

8. History: Works ok.

9. New design (CSS style sheets etc.): Will soon be under construction.

These seem to be the major 'construction sites' at the moment. In my opinion,
top priority should be the transition to Qt 4.2 and then stabilizing the
existing features (points 3., 4., 5.). I think that should be enough for a
0.40.0 release. It can then be extended bit by bit with thinks like
highlighting under mouse cursor and transparent cross fades etc. To be really
usable for me, routing and plugins are a must, but these are major changes and
they would probably justify a 0.50.0 (plugins) and a 0.60.0 (routing) release.

> And I don't care actually if a release is made now or 6 months later...
> :-)
> What I do care about is that it works, and it works good!

Yes that's important. A limited set of stable features is already usable,
whereas a bunch of unstable features is of no help at all.

> On the other hand, if you think with a number of additions, like simpel
> routing support traverso will be 'really usable' for you.....
> If not, then it doesn't matter to implement stuff first, and do it the
> Traverso way .. ;-)

What's the traverso way?

What do you think about the priorities and the suggested release plan?
Best regards,
Nic

--
GMX DSL-Flatrate 0,- Euro* - Überall, wo DSL verfügbar ist!
NEU: Jetzt bis zu 16.000 kBit/s! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl