Re: [Traverso-devel] Re: Qt 4.2 or not?

From: Jonatan Liljedahl
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Re: Qt 4.2 or not?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:04:17 +0200

Nicola Döbelin wrote:
> Hi Remon,
>
> I found this old mail which you never got a reply on. So here we go:
>
>> So what about delaying the next release by xx amount of time, and
>> implement
>> certain things 'properly', and with 'certain things' I mean trackview,
>> clipview and related stuff drawing, highlighting, scrolling and so on, and
>> start depending on Qt 4.2?
>>
>> I've the feeling that even with the current improvements, a 0.40.0 release
>> wouldn't 'make' it.
>
> Let me briefly recapitulate the current state of affairs (and correct me if
> I'm wrong):
>
> 1. New layout using dock widgets: Almost done. Sometimes dock widgets are not
> restored properly when the application is launched, but otherwise it works ok.
>
> 2. Transition to Qt 4.2: Under construction? Sorry for the delay due to my
> crashes, I hope we can work it out quickly.
>
> 3. Track view: Insufficient stability at the moment. Audio clips are not
> restored properly when a project is loaded. 'Select' and 'delete' don't work
> as expected.
>
> 4. Fades: The 'mouse action recognition' seems to be broken in the fade
> dialog, which is particularly annoying on Linux/PPC (sorry for that, but I
> think the problematic behaviour on PPC is a good quality control), because I
> sometimes can't change the values at all. Also some parameters are not
> correctly initialized when the dialog is shown.
>
> 5. Plugins: Not sure, probably waiting for LV2 to finish and SWH-plugins to
> be ported to LV2? We will need some generic widgets which are generated 'on
> the fly'.
>
> 6. Routing: TODO.
>
> 7. Audio clip manager: No functionality implemented yet?
>
> 8. History: Works ok.
>
> 9. New design (CSS style sheets etc.): Will soon be under construction.

I would like to add a simple but very powerful feature:

10. Processing of clip(s) through external app. Just bring up a dialog
with a text entry, with $i and $o being replaced by the input and output
file. This means an external app such as 'sox' (or whatever) could be
used to do useful things to the audio, like transposing, timestretching,
pitchshifting, and other effects.

--
/Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-