Re: [Traverso-devel] Gain/Pan/Other Curves

From: Jonatan Liljedahl
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Gain/Pan/Other Curves
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 11:12:48 +0100

(forgot to change the adress to the list, as usual.. =)

Remon wrote:
>> Track, I think. But I'm not sure. It could be that one edits the curve
>> relative to an audioclip, and if the clip is moved then the curve would
>> be offset - which may not be what you wanted.
>
> That's indeed the point I'm not sure about how to solve. Perhaps making it
> just possible to add them both to Tracks and Clips would be the easiest and
> most powerfull way to do it.
> Eventually with a 'copy the track curve part to this clip', cause I want to
> move the clip to somewhere else I didn't foresee :)

And the other way around, 'copy the clip curve to track'. Yes, this
would be powerful.

>> Perhaps you can have it in
>> the Track, but with a toggle to tell if moving/deleting/copying clips
>> should take that portion of the curves with them?
>
> Ah, yeah indeed. Should read the whole mail first hehe.

And that toggle would be available in a direct way together with other
such things like snap-mode (not hidden in some preferences).

>> Also, I think it's very important that the actual gain is calculated as
>> the product of all these separate factors:
>>
>> - the local audioclip gain
>> - the audioclip fade in/out
>> - the track curve
>> - the track gain
>> - the master gain
>
> Sure, that's how it is done right now, and imo the (only) way to do it
> correctly?

Ok! =)

>> Looking forward for the next usable version of Traverso! =)
>
> This somewhat implies the current version is usable too, no? :-P

I haven't checked out the CVS in a long time, but I get the feeling I
would better wait a while?

> Your feature wishes are still on the wish/todolist but I'm still not sure
> about them.
>
> AudioClip linking sounds trivial, but it's not, and it would be great if you
> could describe in good detail what you want to _accomplish_ !
> What features should be linked, which ones not, and most of all, is the 'copy
> by linking' a clip a valuable concept, or will it bite the developers (that's
> me) in the .... at a later time due the added complexity)

Would you like to tell me more about this, I'm not sure I understand
what you're trying to solve... Are you speaking of the clip manager and
that the same clip can be referenced at different places in different
tracks? (but still show as only one clip in the manager)

> Since sox seems the almost the only library for audio manipulation I'm much
> inclined to pick a number of sox features, add a nice and meaningfull
> interface for it in Traverso (if possible using the contextual interface
> concept), and leave all the low level command parsing to Traverso and not by
> the user... (I really hate to fill in very cryptic commands in a lineedit
> somewhere, and just hoping it made sense)

It would be lovely with such interface frontends! But it would be *very*
powerfull if there also was the possibility to process a clip through an
external command. It would be a special feature for powerusers who know
what they want to do with it.

> E.g. timestretching. I would love to have a timestretch tool in Traverso
> where
> you visually can adjust the parameters by stretching the clip visually!
> The real time stretch could then be done by an 'apply time stretch'
> command/button/timestretchinfobox/somethinglikethat.

Yes, that would be very nice.

Have a nice day!
--
/Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-