Re: [Traverso-devel] Curves, nodes and behaviour (a.k.a. Envelopes?)

From: Nicola Doebelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Curves, nodes and behaviour (a.k.a. Envelopes?)
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 23:41:49 +0100

Hi Remon,

Am Donnerstag, 30. November 2006 23:07 schrieb Remon:
> 1. Should moving nodes be recorded, so it's un/redoable ? The UndoStack is
> part of the Song, however, moving nodes could quickly fill up the stack, so
> undoing an action before you started moving nodes is well, only possbible
> if you undo all the movements of nodes first...

I think moving nodes should be undoable just as every other action. If the
user wants to undo an action after moving lots of nodes around, well...
that's his problem. One solution would be to copy the behaviour of the
history stack of Adobe programmes (Photoshop, Illustrator etc.). They have a
history function similar to the one of Traverso, but you can select any entry
in the history list and revert to that stage with a single click. Every
following event is undone in reverse order.

> 2. What kind of curves do we have actually? Gain and Pan, both for Track
> and AudioClips ?
> Should they be created and active by default ?
> One idea (which is perhaps the default in other applications as well), is
> to use the gain/pan value to set the first node of the Gain/Pan curve as
> the offset/start node which can't be removed and only moved vertically ....

Sounds good.

> 4. What should happen if you drag a node before it's previous node or after
> it's next node ?
> Should the drag-range of a node be the range between it's previous and next
> node, or should it be the whole curve range?

Limiting the drag range should be ok. More flexibility would introduce
unnecessary complexity, IMO.

Best,
Nic