Re: [Traverso-devel] Curves, nodes and behaviour (a.k.a. Envelopes?)

From: Jonatan Liljedahl
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Curves, nodes and behaviour (a.k.a. Envelopes?)
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 14:01:47 +0100

Nicola Doebelin wrote:
>> 2. What kind of curves do we have actually? Gain and Pan, both for Track
>> and AudioClips ?
>> Should they be created and active by default ?
>> One idea (which is perhaps the default in other applications as well), is
>> to use the gain/pan value to set the first node of the Gain/Pan curve as
>> the offset/start node which can't be removed and only moved vertically ....
>
> Sounds good.

I'm not sure I follow you... I think the gain/pan value of the
track/clip should be independent of the curves. Just multiply them
together instead... So If you have a gain curve that goes from 1.0 to
0.0, you can keep it that way but still change the clips gain value. So
if the clip gain value is 0.5, you get in effect a gain that begins on
0.5 and drops to 0.0, (the curve (1.0->0.0) * 0.5)...

I hate the behaviour in ProTools, where the gain automation curve and
the gain fader on the mixer handles the same value, so it's very hard to
adjust the overall mix balance after you've drawn gain curves.

--
/Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-