[Traverso-devel] Request for ideas on Zooming

From: Remon
Subject: [Traverso-devel] Request for ideas on Zooming
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 19:43:51 +0100

Hi guys,

Let's make this list a bit more usefull, here it comes:

When we zoom [ Z ], what do we then actually want to happen?

1) The cursor stays at the same point it started (say track 2, time position
3:45), and the zooming centers on this point

2) The zooming centers (always) on the work cursor position

3) The zooming _only_ zooms on the track the cursor is upon (both for the
vertical and horizontal zoom)

4) Trackpanel is used  for vertical zoom (for the _pointed_ track only) track
view is used for omnidirection zooming, zooms _all_ tracks (both vertically
and horizontally)

4) some other case ?

Now in case you didn't know, current cvs has FULL support for the mouse
buttons and scroll wheel, in the same way as keyboard buttons.

This means, that mouse 'events', can be assigned to an action on a per object
(like Track, AudioClip) bases.

So say, we assign the left mouse button to 'add curve node', and the mouse is
upon the curve, you can use the left mouse button to add nodes!
But you can assign _also_ any other key to do the same action, so < N > for
ading nodes wiill work as well, or < S > or ...or ... and so on
concurrently !
It's up to you :-)
(Note: all 'key assignments' can be done via the keymap.xml file)

Another new feature is that 'hold action', like [ Z ] (zoom) or [ D ] (drag)
now can catch 'modifier' key events.

E.g.
I'm adjusting the gain [ G ], but like to go in small increments now. I
assigned the scroll wheel to the Gain objects 'increase_gain'
and 'decrease_gain', as well as the up and down arrow keys.
Now using the scroll will in/decrease the gain!

another example:
Adjusting the edge of a Clip [ E ]. What I'd like to do is going to the next
snap position.
So I assign the R key (as in < R >) to the DragEdge object, and the W key (< W
> ) to resp. the 'next_edge' and 'previous_edge' commands.

The 'modifier' keys support autorepeat, so when holding the R or W key, it
will start to 'walk' through the snap positions. Not very usefull for Edge
manipulation I admit, but for Gain, or AudioClip dragging, or setting the
Work Cursor or ... ?

Last but not least, hold commands also can catch numericall input, though
currently no one does. (So during a hold action, you start to type a number
on the numerical pad of your keyboard, and the cursor will show you what you
entered, backspace will be possible too (at least that's what I have in
mind.)

So, now you know this, could you please help with creating a 'natural' feel
when using the Zoom key and/or defining new types of actions not possible
before.

Thanks a lot!