[Traverso-devel] Following the playhead

From: Nicola Doebelin
Subject: [Traverso-devel] Following the playhead
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:39:31 +0100

Hi,

I would like to post some ideas regarding the "Viewport follows playhead"
feature I came up with in a previous thread.

1) The simplest solution is of course to flip the page as soon as the play
head leaves the viewport. Since this is the least expensive solution in terms
of CPU consumption, I would definitely add it as an option for users with
slow computers.

2) Smooth scrolling: The play head is always in the center of the viewport,
and the tracks scroll smoothly. While this looks cool, I usually find it hard
to recognize details in the wave forms when they are moving. The motion is
never completely free of jittering. And everyone who has tried to read a web
page while the browser is smooth-scrolling can confirm that it is *extremely*
tiring to follow the writing. Nevertheless there may be users who prefer this
mode, so why not add it anyway?

3) Periodical smooth shift: Remon suggested to smoothly scroll the tracks if
the playhead reaches the margin of the viewport. This is kind of like a
combination of the two solutions above, and it sounds pretty cool. Scrolling
should start shortly before the play head reaches the right margin. My only
concern is that it periodically causes high CPU load, which could be
dangerous while recording.

- No matter how high CPU usage is, scrolling should not cause dropouts during
playback or recording.

- When zooming into the wave form, the play head can become *very* fast. In
case of solution 3) it can be faster than the smooth scrolling speed. This
should not cause any undesired behaviour.

Comments are welcome :-)

Best,
Nic