Re: [Traverso-devel] Following the playhead

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Following the playhead
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:30:01 +0100

> 1) The simplest solution is of course to flip the page as soon as the play
> head leaves the viewport. Since this is the least expensive solution in
> terms of CPU consumption, I would definitely add it as an option for users
> with slow computers.

In cvs

> 2) Smooth scrolling: The play head is always in the center of the viewport,
> and the tracks scroll smoothly. While this looks cool, I usually find it
> hard to recognize details in the wave forms when they are moving. The
> motion is never completely free of jittering. And everyone who has tried to
> read a web page while the browser is smooth-scrolling can confirm that it
> is *extremely* tiring to follow the writing. Nevertheless there may be
> users who prefer this mode, so why not add it anyway?

Also, though it keeps centered on the top (verticall scroll keeps being reset,
need to figure out how to solve that)

> 3) Periodical smooth shift: Remon suggested to smoothly scroll the tracks
> if the playhead reaches the margin of the viewport. This is kind of like a
> combination of the two solutions above, and it sounds pretty cool.

Option added, though not functional. Needs some real thinking how to make it
work smoothly :-)

You can't switch yet at runtime, so you have to edit
src/songcanvas/Cursors.cpp, PlayCursor constructor, lines 40 - 41.

What about, hmmm,  [ SPACEBAR ] + scroll wheel to switch mode ?
[ SPACEBAR ] is also used to place the playhead cursor to a new position
(seek), not sure if it will be confusing. Anyone with a better idea ?

Of course, once the Song information display is back, there will be a
buton/something else that shows what mode is active, and one can select from
there too ;-)

Greetings,