Re: [Traverso-devel] Curves (aka envelopes?)

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Curves (aka envelopes?)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 23:32:55 +0100 (CET)

> Trying to summarize it up:
>
> I now understand what you where asking about, how to select a curve, see
> which one is active, etc...

Exactly!

> If gain and pan is treated just like plugins, then everything is easier
> (and more flexible) to start with.

Indeed, of course, if gain and pan are the only types of effects we can
add, without some other type of processing object. (reverb, delay, etc)
The gain/pan plugin will thus be a simple one, with one paramater, a curve
and default value (if only one node exists, the value of that node will be
the same as the default value)

> Now, selecting a plugin would show any curves assigned to it's control
> ports.
>
> As long as the plugins only has maximum one curve each, there's no
> problem. But many plugins has more than one control port, and many users
> would like to assign curves to more than one of these. So there needs to
> be a way to handle multiple curves for one plugin...

Thats indeed the 'problem'.

> What about this: One could show all curves for the current plugin
> overlayed with different colors (and transparent). (Also the current
> curve could be less transparent and the others less visible).
> There could be a list of boxes on the "row" under the plugin boxes, with
> colors matching the colors of the curves. here one could select a curve
> (and open some menu of options for that curve if necessary)
>
> I'll attach a picture of approximately what I mean...

I think I get what you have in mind, though a picture can say more then
thousand words ;-)
It's more or less (when I understand you correctly) the same solution I
was thinking about today, most likely due it be a logical solution :-)

> One problem with all those overlayed boxes might be that they could come
> in the way for the user.. One could have a toggle to make them _very_
> transparent (or hide them fully).

Have been thinking about that too. A possible solution that popped up in
my mind is that when a plugin becomes the selected or 'active' one, the
plugin 'boxes', as well as the row with curves (if there is more then one
for a plugin) will move slightly under the track/audioclip, so it frees
the track/audioclip completely, and you have a clear view of the curve,
it's nodes etc.
What about that ?

> BTW, I have also worked on a curve editor the recent time, but using
> cairo and GTK instead. Take a look at the screenshot at the bottom of
> http://kymatica.com/index.php/Software/KyceShots

Looks great, though I'm afraid I don't get what it does....
But, welcome aboard, at least for designing the curve/plugin views ;-P

Greetings,