Re: [Traverso-devel] Thoughts on plugin strategy

From: Nicola Doebelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Thoughts on plugin strategy
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:59:50 +0100

Am Montag, 29. Januar 2007 16:44 schrieb Jonatan Liljedahl:
> Nicola Döbelin wrote:
> > As to loading plugins by default: How about letting the user decide
> > in the configuration page which plugins should be loaded by default
> > when a new track / song / project is created?
>
> Yes, that would be nice!
> But still, gain (and perhaps pan) should always be there anyhow.

I agree. My favourite solution would be a non-removable plugin.

> Regarding the plugin GUI's, should they pop up as small windows (as
> traditional) or should we also be able to integrate them into the
> trackview? perhaps docking them into the left of the track (where the
> fixed gain/pan and other stuff is), or dock them into an extra area over
> or under the track, like this:
>
> +---------------+---------------+--------+-----------------------
>
> | GUI for plug1 | GUI for plug2 | etc... |
>
> +---------------++--------------+--------+-----------------------
>
> | trackname      |
> | gain/pan       |      audioclip waveforms...
> | REC arm, etc.. |
>
> +----------------+-----------------------------------------------
>
> I think that would be kind of cool. Simple a small button/symbol in the
> corner of each plugin GUI which toggles if it should be in an individual
> window or docked in above the track. Or perhaps one toggle per track:
> show all plugin GUI's above track or not.

This is an interesting idea, however, as Remon mentioned in the other mail,
there is no point in editing several plugins at a time.

Another option would be to have one widget (docking or floating) which always
shows the GUI of the active plugin. If one wants to edit the EQ, it shows the
EQ GUI. If one wants to edit the compressor, it shows a compressor GUI. Not
sure if this has any advantages over normal dialogs, though.

I must admit that I'm a bit clueless as to what the best solution is to
present the plugin GUIs. Last summer I wrote a proof of concept for an EQ
GUI, which is attached to this e-mail (I hope it makes it to the mailing
list). Just to have something to play with and to get a feeling for what we
are discussing here.

Nic