Fwd: Re: [Traverso-devel] Thoughts on plugin strategy

From: Nicola Doebelin
Subject: Fwd: Re: [Traverso-devel] Thoughts on plugin strategy
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:11:16 +0100

Grrr, why doesn't Kmail reply to the list? Ok, here we go again:

Hi,

My tirade of questions was not meant to run down your ideas, actually the
pink...erm magenta boxes are perfectly fine with me.

Am Montag, 29. Januar 2007 21:59 schrieb Remon:
> So the 'pink (magenta)' boxes are indeed a representation for the effect
> (feel free to make it look nicer), so you can < E > edit it (shows the
> GUI), or somehow (this is what I'm trying to get sorted out) select it, and
> all it's curves becomes visible as curves _and_ 'pink (magenta lol)' boxes,
> somehow placed in such way you understand it belongs to the selected
> plugin.
>
> One idea of me was to first select a Track as active, or maybe as soon as
> you select a plugin in a track it becomes the 'active' one.
> The plugin boxes will then move 'below' the track, so the trackview becomes
> clearly visible (those boxes don't get in the way of the curves).
> Jonatan suggested to place them 'between' tracks, not sure which version
> works best.

Ok, I see that the points I had difficulities to understand are still
 somewhat diffuse. Couldn't the plugin boxes just disappear when switching to
 curve mode? We could have 3 layers:

Layer 1 is the normal editing mode
Layer 2 is the effects view of a certain track
Layer 3 is the curve view of a certain plugin

The procedure is explained in the attached screenshots.

plug01.png is the normal editing mode.
Switching track 1 to effects view is shown in plug02.png.
Switching the "gain" plugin to curve mode is shown in plug03.png.

We could use the key actions <F2> to switch all tracks to layer 2, and <F1>
 to switch them all to layer 1.

Does that make sense?

> Sometimes I wish we could talk directly, mail goes so slowly, and my
> english isn't as good as my native language (which isn't that good either
> (om je maar voor te zijn Ingmar :-P )

Absolutely. But IRC isn't ideal to explain complex stuff either. It's too
 fast for me, I need to think out my answers a bit longer...

Oh, and please keep writing in English, otherwise my answers take even
longer :-P

Nic