Re: Fwd: Re: [Traverso-devel] Thoughts on plugin strategy

From: Jonatan Liljedahl
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Traverso-devel] Thoughts on plugin strategy
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:24:00 +0100

Nicola Doebelin wrote:
> Grrr, why doesn't Kmail reply to the list? Ok, here we go again:
>
> Hi,
>
> My tirade of questions was not meant to run down your ideas, actually the
> pink...erm magenta boxes are perfectly fine with me.
>
> Am Montag, 29. Januar 2007 21:59 schrieb Remon:
>> So the 'pink (magenta)' boxes are indeed a representation for the effect
>> (feel free to make it look nicer), so you can < E > edit it (shows the
>> GUI), or somehow (this is what I'm trying to get sorted out) select it, and
>> all it's curves becomes visible as curves _and_ 'pink (magenta lol)' boxes,
>> somehow placed in such way you understand it belongs to the selected
>> plugin.
>>
>> One idea of me was to first select a Track as active, or maybe as soon as
>> you select a plugin in a track it becomes the 'active' one.
>> The plugin boxes will then move 'below' the track, so the trackview becomes
>> clearly visible (those boxes don't get in the way of the curves).
>> Jonatan suggested to place them 'between' tracks, not sure which version
>> works best.
>
> Ok, I see that the points I had difficulities to understand are still
>  somewhat diffuse. Couldn't the plugin boxes just disappear when switching to
>  curve mode? We could have 3 layers:
>
> Layer 1 is the normal editing mode
> Layer 2 is the effects view of a certain track
> Layer 3 is the curve view of a certain plugin
>
> The procedure is explained in the attached screenshots.
>
> plug01.png is the normal editing mode.
> Switching track 1 to effects view is shown in plug02.png.
> Switching the "gain" plugin to curve mode is shown in plug03.png.
>
> We could use the key actions <F2> to switch all tracks to layer 2, and <F1>
>  to switch them all to layer 1.
>
> Does that make sense?

Sure, but in curve view one also need boxes to choose which curve to
view for the currently selected plugin. Also one should see what plugin
is selected without having to switch layer. One problem is it takes
little too long to switch to another plugin when in curve mode: first
F2, then select plugin, then F3 to get back to the curves.
Also, I think the waveform should be visible under the curve, it can be
good to see where you are in the audio, etc...

I had a suggestion to let the layers be toggled on/off individually, so
one can choose to see waveform only, waveform+pluginboxes,
waveform+plugins+curves, or waveform+curves. But then the problem is if
the 'D' key for drag should move plugin or clip, etc.. but as long as
they are in the top of the view one should still be able to point at the
plugins or at the clip. Perhaps the curves would need an explicit
editing mode though, but still be visible in the other mode (but more
transparent)?

>> Sometimes I wish we could talk directly, mail goes so slowly, and my
>> english isn't as good as my native language (which isn't that good either
>> (om je maar voor te zijn Ingmar :-P )
>
> Absolutely. But IRC isn't ideal to explain complex stuff either. It's too
>  fast for me, I need to think out my answers a bit longer...
>
> Oh, and please keep writing in English, otherwise my answers take even
> longer :-P

Eller varför inte svenska, det förstår väl alla? ;)

--
/Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-