Re: Fwd: Re: [Traverso-devel] Thoughts on plugin strategy

From: Remon
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Traverso-devel] Thoughts on plugin strategy
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 00:22:04 +0100

> > We could use the key actions <F2> to switch all tracks to layer 2, and
> > <F1> to switch them all to layer 1.
> >
> > Does that make sense?
>
> Sure, but in curve view one also need boxes to choose which curve to
> view for the currently selected plugin. Also one should see what plugin
> is selected without having to switch layer. One problem is it takes
> little too long to switch to another plugin when in curve mode: first
> F2, then select plugin, then F3 to get back to the curves.
> Also, I think the waveform should be visible under the curve, it can be
> good to see where you are in the audio, etc...

Indeed

> I had a suggestion to let the layers be toggled on/off individually, so
> one can choose to see waveform only, waveform+pluginboxes,
> waveform+plugins+curves, or waveform+curves.

Makes sense, and is what I have in mind, except the last one. A bunch of
curves on a wave form, it doesn' mean anything to the user, right ?

> But then the problem is if
> the 'D' key for drag should move plugin or clip, etc.. but as long as

Not sure what you mean here ?
If it is about the problem that [ D ] in effects mode potentially could move
clips, where you wanted to move an effect plugin, don't worry!
The key actions can be configured on a 'per mode' and 'per object' basis.
So, moving audioclips would only be possible in Edit Mode, and won't do
anything in Effect mode....

> they are in the top of the view one should still be able to point at the
> plugins or at the clip. Perhaps the curves would need an explicit
> editing mode though, but still be visible in the other mode (but more
> transparent)?

I'm a little lost here, perhaps some picture would help ?

> >> Sometimes I wish we could talk directly, mail goes so slowly, and my
> >> english isn't as good as my native language (which isn't that good
> >> either (om je maar voor te zijn Ingmar :-P )
> >
> > Absolutely. But IRC isn't ideal to explain complex stuff either. It's too
> >  fast for me, I need to think out my answers a bit longer...
> >
> > Oh, and please keep writing in English, otherwise my answers take even
> > longer :-P
>
> Eller varför inte svenska, det förstår väl alla? ;)

You too :-P
(No idea what it means lol)

Greetings,