Re: [Traverso-devel] Traverso audio backend & custom audio app

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Traverso audio backend & custom audio app
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:42:11 +0100

Hi Niklas,

Thanks for your explanation on how you like to see your audio application
work.

As I see it the layer concept you mention is conceptually different from what
is an "AudioClip" in traverso, right?
Though AudioClips can be stacked upon eachother, and the rendering order, and
curve preservation are things that work currently in Traverso, slicing and
re-aranging clips based on their place in the hierarchical layer..... thats a
different story :-)
(If I get what you're trying to make clear of course)

> but when you are doing more sophisticated editing you are forced to rely
> on f/x envelopes and realtime-scopes only. there is no way to get
> good/relyable visual feedback.
> and more importantly: you get out of processing power very easily.

I think I followed it up till here, could you please explain this in more
detail ?

> the concept isnt entirely new but i guess it is interesting from both
> merely academic sound-design
> as well as practical music\production-views.

There is a user who is interested in Traverso, and I think he's doing
something similar you do with music, though, since I'm a n00b in that area, I
might be all wrong!
Jonatan, you are somewhat in the same area as Niklas, right?
Do you have any ideas on this in regard to Traverso, it's interface and how
Traverso could benefit from this as a recording and editing tool ?

> regarding your hint: i think i am able to add this functionality to
> traverso on my own
> to a certain degree but i originally thought it would break too much
> with the way how you developers
> intended traverso to be, even while preserving the contextural audio-
> editing idea.

I can't say really there is a clear intention to what Traverso 'should be'.
As you probably are aware of allready, I try to work on traverso as if it is a
framework. Currently this framework gives a solid and extendible audio
backend, a real time thread save event dispatcher to add/remove audio
processing objects into/from the audio processing chain, and at the same time
pushing these actions to the histrory stack, so you get un/redo basically for
free.
Last but not least, the keyboard/mouse event handler is a very sophisticated
one, which might be hugely usefull for what you try to accomplish.

My goal for traverso is:
* A lightweight stable program
* who is able to record multichannel, without first reading the "linux kernel
internals' book before you understand how to configure jackd, know what
periods, frames, periods per frame is, and most importantly, can set the
audio device 'latency' in miliseconds, and not in some 'frames = 1024'
value:-)
* a powerfull interface to cut, past, edit, add effects well, you name it :-)
* not trying to make it a tool that can do everything for everyone, but at
least close to be that lol

This is what traverso provides, at least, almost hehe

Re-using this framework could be a nice thing....
If it would basically be adding another 'view' with layer objects, and some of
the functionallity of it is usefull for 'normal' editing as well, it could
traverso make just that more powerfull.
But maybe I'm al wrong, suggestions from other users are welcome too hehe

Greetings,