Re: [Traverso-devel] csound api introduction

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] csound api introduction
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:45:05 +0100

Morning,

> regarding the csound api, here is a paper which i found quite helpful
> to get how basic host/csound interaction can be implemented:
> http://www.csounds.com/articles/RoryWalsh_CsoundAPI.pdf

Thanks, will have a look at it!

> btw: what is currently on the TODO list/what can i do to get in
> first touch with traverso's internals?

Me heads looking for a TODO list... hmmm, where is it again... ;-)

Ah, found it.. you really want to know all of it .. ? ;-P

Hmm, lot's of stuff to do, don't know what you are good at, and getting in
touch with the code. Well, if you like I could give you a general overview
how things work. Nicola, you had/have this 'problem' too, getting used to the
code, anything you can recommend ?

At this very moment, after all the lovely GUI improvements Nicola has made, we
are gearing towards making cvs usable again, finishing the port to
QGraphicsView which has it's own set of odities that has to be worked out.
Certain features either need to be disabled or finished for the 0.40.0.

The GUI get's it's color/font/other information from the themer (invented that
yesterday lol), which originaly only did the colors. This can be improved,
you could make a new theme if you like, though that's not much coding
related.

Something that would be nice to have is that grid you mentioned, there is
allready the SnapList class, which can be used as a start point I think
(after all, we want to be able to snap to the grid, right?)

I'm often on #traverso, we could have some talk there to see what your skills
are, what you want to see working really soon, see what can be done for the
plugin framework, and so on.

Have a nice day,

Remon

P.S.
Before I forget, here is one:
When importing audio files ( < I > on Track), we store the absolute file path
to that file, and the peakfile
in /project/path/projectname/peaks/audiofilename.peak-channel-0/1
As Nicola pointed out some time ago, it's quite possible to import another
file with the same name from another location. The peak file name will clash,
you get the wrong wave form visualization, or in the worst case a crash.
What about looking into that routine, and e.g. making the peak file name on
import more unique ?
(e.g. grep for the create_id() function which creates a 64 bit id that
consists of the timeofday() and random() values., just an idea)
Related classes: src/commands/Import src/core/Peak src/core/Utils,
src/core/ReadSource src/core/AudioSourcesManager