Re: [Traverso-devel] bas sound with alsa, no sound with jack

From: Nicola Doebelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] bas sound with alsa, no sound with jack
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 09:36:48 +0100

Hi and welcome,

Am Freitag, 2. Februar 2007 23:22 schrieb Matt Price:
> having trouble getting traverso to work on a ubuntu-feisty system using
> the .debs in the repository.  With the alsa driver, I get choppy/staticy
> sound, while jack is always silent.  System info as follows:

Just a hint: Traverso doesn't set up the jack connections automatically. So
when using qjackctl and both traverso and jackd are running, go to "Connect"
in qjackctl and connect the "Traverso" output to "alsa_pcm" input.

> I know that jack works ok as I can now get it to sound right in ardour2
> (took a little work...).
>
> I'm happy to do a little testing if you can give me some direction. Am
> using traverso to edit audio documentaries, so latency is not as much an
> issue for me as for some other people.  Howver, I do need to be able to
> listen to my work when I'm editing. I really LOVE the interface,
> congratulations on a terrific job.   Thanks!

That would be great. However, since release 0.40.0 is coming soon, it would
probably make more sense if you could use the current cvs version for
testing.

To check out the cvs version:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/traverso co
traverso

The compilation is described here:

http://vt.shuis.tudelft.nl/~remon/traverso/tutorial/installation.html

In addition you need libslv2, libslv2-dev, fftw3, and fftw3-dev, which you can
apt-get from my ubuntu repo (www.doebelin.org...) and from ubuntu universe.
(I can't guarantee that the libslv2 packages work on feisty, they are only
tested on dapper and edgy.)

I hope it works. If not, please report the problem here on the dev-list. If
you struggle compiling it, I could create a binary, but cvs changes rapidly
at the moment, so it's not really worth the effort.

Best,
Nic