Re: Fwd: Re: [Traverso-devel] bas sound with alsa, no sound with jack

From: Remon
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Traverso-devel] bas sound with alsa, no sound with jack
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 15:13:45 +0100

Hello Matt,

> > Just a hint: Traverso doesn't set up the jack connections automatically.
> > So when using qjackctl and both traverso and jackd are running, go to
> > "Connect" in qjackctl and connect the "Traverso" output to "alsa_pcm"
> > input.
>
> hey, excellent!  took me a minute to figure out that I had to drag
> between the inputs and outputs, but now it works spectacularly well.
>
> Is this something I have to do every time I start up traverso?  is there
> a way to automate it from the commandline?  qjackctl is a bit
> frustrating for me, I run gnome and for some reason the window
> disappears entirely every time I switch focus away from it.  and it
> would be nice to just put a command in a script to run traverso and then
> set up the connection.

I've been looking into this indeed. However, if I understand correctly, a jack
application isn't supposed to do the connections itself, one should use e.g.
qjackctl for this.
It's very frustrating of course, but if I'm not mistaken qjackctl offers a way
to save your connections preferences.

On the other hand, if you don't use jackd for outside processing, the ALSA
driver is recommended over the Jack one!

> anyway, it's great to have jack working.  I'm a little puzzled at the
> poor quality of sound from ALSA, though, and wondering if I can fix that
> somehow.  Basically it's a slight static edge which is sometimes a
> little worse than that, a serious fuzz that interferes with
> understanding the track.  WHen I first started working with ardour and
> jack I had a similar issue, but I solved it by increasing the number of
> periods in the jack deamon to 3.  Can I do something similar to the
> traverso alsa driver?  I notice I get the following errors when I switch
>
> >from jack to alsa in traverso:
>
> jack_client_thread zombified - exiting from JACK
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|4096|2|48000|0|0|-|32bit
> configuring for 48000 Hz, period = 4096 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> Starting AudioDeviceThread..... Running!
> Running realtime
> late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 8192
> late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 8192
> late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 8192
> late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 8192
> late driver wakeup: nframes to process = 8192
>
> anything I can do to fix these?

It's most likely a bug in the audio driver itself.
Setting the number of periods for the alsa driver isn't possible at the moment
in traverso, it's hard coded.
I'll see if I can add this somehow to the configuration of Traverso!

> thanks for this.  all the packages installed fine, but I'm having
> trouble compiling.  followed the instructions above, but qhile qmake
> succeeds, make fails very quickly with a long string of error messages
<snip>
> is it possible I'm using a gcc version that's too recent, or something
> like that?  I don't know much about compiling, but I remember having
> that issue with various kernels I've installed...
>
> thanks, looking forward to hearing more,

As Nicola pointed out, you need qmake-qt4 for this (the Qt4 version of qmake.)
The update-alternatives is a great way, that indeed should work!
The errors seems to indicate that you still are using an older version of Qt.
If unsure, please post here what qmake -v says.

Greetings,

Remon

P.S.
To quickly try the number of periods = 3, edit line 102 in
src/engine/AlsaDriver.cpp, and change the 2 in a 3 ;-)