Re: [Traverso-devel] cvs update

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] cvs update
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 22:14:09 +0100

Hi Nic,

You shouldn't drink so much early in the evening :-P

> Just checked again: It doesn't flip the page at all. In the config file
> Scrollmode is set to 2, but the playhead runs out of the window and nothing
> happens (on PPC and dual core).

Sorry, my fault. Please, change

[PlayHead]
Folow=true/false

[PlayHead]
Folow=1/0

I've been mixing QVariants toBool and toInt() functionality, as a result the
follow playhead didn't work anymore.

> > > Can it be de/activated somehow? I couldn't find
> > > a key action for it...
> >
> > Me encourages you to create one hehe
>
> Ok. But I would prefer a combo box in the settings page. What about you?

Don't worry about it now, I'm thinking of creating a Settings _Dialog_ with
catagories, where this one can be added.
Follow playhead is however a nice one to have, a button in the 'to be created'
informational widget which is to be placed below the menu bar ?

> > > CPU usage doesn't seem to have changed significantly
> > > here, but it's hard to judge, because it depends on the zoom level.
> >
> > Ow, thats too bad, it has dropped here quite a bit....
> > Me is totally desperate now ....
>
> Im sooo sorry. The problem is I have nothing to compare it to. By zooming
> one step I can easily double or half the CPU usage.

It's unfortunately a bit hard right now to profile canvas painting, the output
of the callgraph is screwed in kcachegrind, and there seems to be no solution
for that (no-one knows why it happens).
I think if I can get the playhead drawing to _not_ destroy the underlying
objects, xorg load will be much much lower, as well as traverso's cpu usage
when the playhead 'destroys' a lot of tracks during it's move.
Investigation is in progress!
(BTW, painting performance has considerably improved on the Qt side in Qt 4.3,
the graphics ninja overthere did an amazing job! We still have to wait though
till xorg and mesa catch up and give accelerated painting by opengl)

> > Ehm, let me look it up...
> > Needs to be added to the Settings widget or somewhere else to switch
> > mode, but for now, edit your ~/.traverso/Traverso/Traverso.conf, see
> > section Playhead, set Scrollmode to 0 (flip page), 1 is centered and 2 is
> > animated flip page
>
> None of these modes seems to work, it just doesn't flip if the playhead
> leaves the window.

See above, I'm sooo sorry for screwing the most brilliant feature ever made in
traverso :D

> > > Try deleting a track and then zoom vertically...
> > >
> > > Sorry, but you were asking for it ;-)
> >
> > Stop hiding you ....., I'm gonna .... you !
>
> Waaaahhh! (*running and hiding under the kitchen table*)
>
> > Obviously, I meant stability for playback, and just running the damn
> > thing, with no 'crashes out of nowhere'
>
> Oops, sorry, in that case forget about it. But let me know when you are
> mentally stable enough for some serious bugs :-P

LOL

I was a bit in the mood to scream and yell hehe.
Last saterday at my 'saterday job' things didn't go as planned, worked from
7:15 till 18:15 (with some 25 minutes 'coffee break') due the simple fact my
colleagues forced me to do more work then I should have too, and even after
several requests to help me out, they just left the building (work as post
man), or came by to watch me work, drinking a beer after they finished their
part of the job.
Oh well, just finished a lenghty email to my bosses what I think about
my "team mates" :-)

> Sleep well (and don't let the crash message haunt you in your dreams).
> Nic

Hehe, don't worry, I can handle a lot more then just that haha

Nighty night,